The advantages of composite fillings for tooth decay
Cavities can be a serious problem and should be addressed with fillings. At SK2 Dental, we are pleased to offer composite resin fillings for our patients.
What are composite resin fillings?
Our team describes the composite resin filling as a tooth-colored filling made of a plastic and glass mixture. This type of tooth filling is used to restore decayed, broken, or chipped teeth, worn teeth, and discolored teeth.
Why should I choose composite resin fillings over amalgam fillings?
There are a few different reasons why Dr. Stanley Ngo and his team recommend composite resin fillings over more traditional materials used by other dentists in the area. Composite resin fillings:
- Need less drilling than traditional amalgam fillings, so more tooth structure is preserved.
- Bonds better to the tooth, creating a stronger seal than metal fillings.
- Have materials that are considered safe and appropriate to use within the smile.
- Are tooth-colored, making them more aesthetically pleasing and appear more like natural enamel.
- Can be placed in a single appointment at the dental office.
- Do not contain mercury, which is used in amalgam fillings and associated with mercury toxicity.
What can I expect during my appointment?
If you have scheduled an appointment with Dr. Ngo for a cavity filled with composite resin bonding, you can rest easy knowing the steps needed to complete the process. First, the affected area will be numbed using a local anesthetic. Once the patient is numb, Dr. Ngo will clean out the decayed material inside the cavity with a dental drill. The composite resin filling material will then be applied and shaped to look just like the real enamel, blending in with your natural smile seamlessly. Finally, we will use special tools to harden and polish the composite resin filling to look identical to your natural teeth.
Contact us today at S2K Dental to learn more about tooth-colored fillings!
Our office is located in Dallas, TX, at 9780 Walnut St Suite 188, and is open to new patients in the area. Call (469) 331-5444 to request an appointment with Dr. Stanley Ngo and his team.