How to improve and maintain gum health
Dr. Stanley Ngo of SK2 Dental in Dallas, Texas, educates patients on the importance of proper oral hygiene to combat periodontal disease. Periodontal disease, also referred to by professionals as “gum disease,” is a condition that affects one’s periodontal health. It can lead to problems such as gingivitis or periodontitis, which can impact the teeth, gums, and bone. This includes bleeding and receding gums and the natural loss of the jawbone.
Learn how to improve and maintain gum health
Below are common recommendations by Dr. Ngo and his team regarding ways to achieve oral health and wellness and to keep the smile free from cavities and disease:
- Brushing and flossing. Brushing twice daily and flossing at least once are essential to maintaining a healthy mouth. If you have an existing periodontal condition, be sure to follow Dr. Ngo’s recommended regimen closely. This may include more frequent brushing and flossing, and cleaning below the gum line with special instruments.
- Regular appointments at SK2 Dental. You should also make sure you visit Dr. Ngo regularly for routine checkups, where he can examine your teeth and gums for early warning signs of periodontal disease. If any red flags arise during the exam, he can offer treatments or suggestions to help you keep your teeth healthy.
- Eat right. Eating a balanced diet is another key component of oral health and wellness. Be sure to incorporate plenty of crunchy vegetables, such as carrots and celery, and dairy products into your diet for strong teeth. Avoid foods high in carbohydrates and sugars, which can provide the foundation for bacterial development.
- Use an antiseptic mouthwash. Dr. Ngo recommends using an antiseptic mouthwash after brushing each day to reduce bacterial growth in your mouth. This will help wash away any lingering food particles or plaque and leave you feeling refreshed.
- Quit smoking or other tobacco use. Smoking is one of several leading causes of periodontal disease and should be avoided at all costs to maintain a healthy smile. Speak with Dr. Ngo about ways to quit smoking that may work for you if you have struggled with quitting in the past.
Call SK2 Dental today!
Periodontal health is vital to the health of the teeth, gums, and jawbone. If you are looking for recommendations for achieving oral health and wellness to keep the teeth free from disease and decay, call (469) 331-5444 to consult with our team of professionals in Dallas, TX. The office is located at 9780 Walnut St Suite 188.